Cotten Schmidt & Abbott, L.L.P.’s employment and labor practice and employment litigation experience is varied and involves representation of chemical and energy companies, transportation and industrial manufacturing companies, a variety of health-care industry clients, food manufacturing and vending companies, a sporting goods company, numerous local businesses and company executives from these same industries.
Our focus and goal for our clients begins with evaluation of and counseling on preventive employment measures and litigation avoidance and extends, as necessary, to efficient and economic handling of claims and lawsuits, through mediation, trial and appeal.
Our common sense approach to employment matters and litigation plus our business and trial experience means we stand ready to handle whatever conflict, crisis, or issue might arise and to do so with integrity, efficiency and economic sense.
In the employment & labor arena, a sampling of our experience includes:
- EEO compliance and employee/management training
- EEOC charges and position statements, site investigations, and mediations
- Department of Labor wage & hour and FMLA investigations and audits
- Preparation and implementation of employment policies, practices and handbooks
- ADA & ADEA compliance
- FMLA administration and compliance
- Employment, severance and waiver agreements
- Employee Handbook preparation and updates
- Reductions in force and WARN compliance
- Negotiation and preparation of management contracts and benefits packages
- Compelling, avoiding, and drafting arbitration agreements
- Discrimination & harassment investigations, documentation & policy development
- Preparation, defense and prosecution of confidentiality, trade secret and non-compete agreements, including defense and prosecution of injunctions and restraining orders
- COBRA & HIPAA compliance
- Evaluation of employment implications in relation to business mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- Wage and hour administration and claims and Fair Labor Standards Act compliance
- Unemployment insurance compensation claims and appeals
- Workers’ compensation insurance set-up, administration and coverage issues
- Federal tax issues in the employment context
With respect to claims and lawsuits, attorneys with the firm have defended age, gender, disability, race, and workers’ compensation discrimination and harassment, hostile work environment, FLSA wage and hour, whistle-blower, defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress and breach of contract claims in both federal and state courts as well as in administrative tribunals. We have practiced in state and federal courts throughout Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and the United States. As a result, we are acquainted with much of our states’ judiciary and court personnel. Relationships with local counsel throughout the states and country help us when necessary in remote areas of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, or other parts of the country.
One of our partners, Angela R. Hoyt, is Board Certified in Labor & Employment law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.