650 Poydras Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
Christine Changho Bruneau is a partner in the New Orleans office. She serves as co-chair of the Diversity Subcommittee of the firm’s Management Committee; a member of the Recruitment/ Hiring Committee; and editor of the firm’s Newsletter.
Ms. Bruneau has handled matters throughout Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi, and managed large, demanding dockets of multi-party litigation, involving hundreds of claims and numerous legal issues. Her cases have included industrial exposures and injuries, asbestos and silica exposure, environmental contamination, oilfield and maritime injuries, hurricane losses, and commercial disputes.
Her litigation experience extends to all stages of the legal process in both civil and criminal matters, from early case assessment to writs and appeals, as well as post-conviction relief in the criminal defense area. She has tried over 100 judge and jury trials and argued successfully before the Louisiana Supreme Court.
Beyond litigation, Ms. Bruneau also handles commercial transactions; primarily contract negotiation, evaluation, and drafting. Recent work includes master service contracts, leases and sales of industrial and commercial properties and equipment, construction agreements, and entry/access agreements.
Ms. Bruneau grew up in Leawood, Kansas, but has called New Orleans home for over 20 years. After rebuilding from Hurricane Katrina, she resides in the Lakeview neighborhood of New Orleans with her husband, Adrian, and their two small children, Lily and J.D. She holds a second-degree black belt in Taekwondo and also enjoys yoga, bicycling, cooking, and making evening gowns and costumes.
- B.A., Anthropology and American Ethnic Studies, Phi Beta Kappa, Kansas State University, 1994
- J.D., Tulane University School of Law (with Certificate in Environmental Law), 1998
HONORS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Diversity Committee and Diversity Conclave Subcommittee
- Louisiana Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Louisiana Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Founding President
- National Filipino-American Lawyers Association, Southwest Region Governor
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Louisiana State University National Diversity Advisory Board
- DuPont Minority Counsel Network
- Bar Association for the Federal Fifth Circuit
- Diversity Award Nomination Committee, Louisiana State Bar Association, appointed
- Language Access Subcommittee, Louisiana State Bar Association, appointed (joint subcommittee of the Right to Counsel and Access to Justice Committees)
- World Trade Center of New Orleans
- Association of Women Attorneys
- Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Louisiana Public Defenders’ Association
- American Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Asian Pacific American Society
- Asian Chamber of Commerce of Louisiana, Secretary 2013-16, Current/Interim Chair
- Delta Delta Delta sorority
- Development Committee of the Magnolia School, Inc., a private, non-profit school for developmentally-disabled adults
- Lakeview Civic Improvement Association
- New Orleans City Park, Lark in the Park Committee
- New Orleans Museum of Art, Love in the Garden Committee (2008)
Admiralty and Maritime
Business Law and Business Transactions
Insurance Defense, Coverage, Subrogation and Casualty
Mass Torts and Toxic Tort Litigation
Oil and Gas/Energy
Premises and Products Liability
- Re-elected in 2016 to a third four-year term as a member of the Orleans Parish Republican Executive Committee, the governing body for the Republican Party in New Orleans
- Staff Attorney, Orleans Indigent Defender Program, and concurrent private criminal defense practice (1998-2000)
- Tulane Environmental Law Clinic, student member (1997):
- Kansas Archaeological Field School (1993): investigation and excavation of Great Plains Paleo-Indian Folsom Bison Kill sites in Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma
- State Bar of Louisiana
- United States District Court, Eastern, Middle, & Western Districts of Louisiana
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- State of Louisiana in the Interest of A.M. and T.K., 98-2752 (La. 7/2/99); 739 So.2d 188
FEATURED ARTICLES, PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Hot Topics in Diversity Law,” presented to the American Bar Association, Section of State and Local Government, ABA Mid-year Meeting, February 2, 2012.
- “Diversifying the Workplace,” presented to the Northshore Region Human Resource Association, October, 2008.
- “Stand Out During On-Campus Interviews: Interview Advice from a Hiring Attorney,” presented to Loyola Law School, August 28, 2008.
- Presentations to the U.S. Department of Agriculture National Finance Center and U.S. Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of Louisiana, for Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month, May 2016.
- Regular speaker and panelist at Tulane Law School and Loyola Law School, New Orleans, on resume construction, career development.